Hi! My name is Susan and I am a control freak. So watching the Coronavirus case numbers go up every day and knowing there is nothing I can do about it has my anxiety through the roof.
But I’m also a doer. And the one thing I can do is to prepare in case the US has to shut down the way China and Italy did. So for the past few days, I’ve been stocking up on essentials for both us humans and our Yorkies. I’m also making a plans for “what if”.
A lot of people are telling me I’m overreacting, but I don’t care. Taking a little bit of control back and doing things is making me feel so much better. And what’s the worst that can happen? I’m wrong and I have a few extra things in my pantry and the dog’s closet? They will get used eventually so I’m fine with that.
Because we’re being told to limit our trips to public places …
* Stock up on dog or puppy food and treats
* Make sure your pets are up to date on vaccinations. This will be important if you do get the virus and need to board your pets because you can’t take care of them.
* With Spring on the way, make sure you have enough flea, tick, and heartworm preventative on hand
* If your pets take medication, make sure you have a few months supply
* Don’t forget the pee pads and kitty litter
Make a plan
* If you get the virus and can’t take care of your pets do you have someone who can?
* Does your pet have a medical condition that requires regular trips to the vet? Now is the time to figure out who can do that for you if you can’t do it yourself.
Prepare for “what if”
* If you have to work from home how will you keep your pup occupied so you can get things done? I’m stocking up on puzzle toys, bully sticks, and Kongs. I also HIGHLY recommend getting a bully stick holder to prevent choking. You may be busy and not notice when it becomes small enough for your pup to choke on and the holder prevents that.
Our pups pick up on our moods so I’m trying to take my own advice on this one so I don’t cause anxiety and unwanted behavior in my Yorkies.
Stay safe and healthy!!!